Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Generic beta blockers may lead to problems

Here is a question I found in an article relating to generic branded blood pressure medication. I thought it could be of use to someone out there. Definitely worth discussing this with your GP or pharmacist.

Article source: http://www.charlotte.com/162/story/427470.html

"Q. My doctor prescribed Toprol-XL several years ago, and it worked well. Last week, my pharmacist refilled my prescription with generic metoprolol succinate. Two days later, my blood pressure shot sky-high to 190/100. Luckily, I found some leftover pills of the brand name Toprol-XL. My blood pressure came down to 140/90 -- high but OK. Is there a problem with this new generic?

Toprol-XL (metoprolol) is a slow-release beta blocker prescribed to control high blood pressure and irregular heart rhythms. Many other readers have reported rapid heart rate and higher blood pressure after switching to some generic forms of metoprolol succinate.

One patient experienced pounding headaches with blood pressure of 225/125 after one week on metoprolol.

We urge anyone having a problem with a generic drug to discuss the problem with the prescriber."

No comments: